The Centre for Aristotelian Studies and Critical Theory aims to promote international research in Aristotle’s thought and to put contemporary Aristotelianism in philosophical conversation with critical theory. Critical theory, in this context, is understood in the broadest sense possible: as critique of the dominant social and political order and as an attempt to theorize an emancipated and just society. One of the key aims of the Centre is therefore to identify and elaborate those aspects of Aristotelianism that provide philosophical tools for social critique and political praxis.
The aims and objectives of the Centre are:
- To explore the various aspects of Aristotle’s philosophy and its relevance today – after 2400 years after his birth – and especially its contribution to the European common cultural heritage.
- To identify and elaborate those aspects of Aristotelianism that provide philosophical tools for social critique and political action.
- To explore the legacy of Aristotle’s thought, its influence on medieval, modern and contemporary philosophy (ethics, politics, epistemology, logic and metaphysics, the natural law tradition) and the development of Aristotelianism and the multitude contemporary Neo-Aristotelian philosophical theories that have been formulated in the 20th and the 21st centuries.
- To promote high quality research at international level as well as encourage interdisciplinary approach to research on a wide range of topics (philosophy, politics, political theory, law, etc.). Also, to help undergraduate, postgraduate and postdoctoral students with research opportunities in Aristotelian studies.
- To organize conferences, seminars and specialized reading groups in collaboration with other established Societies, Institutes and Universities, both at home and abroad.
Centre for Aristotelian Studies and Critical Theory
Mykolas Romeris University
Room 302, Didlaukio st. 55,
LT-08303 Vilnius, Lithuania
Centre’s email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director’s email address: email@example.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AristotelianStudiesCriticalTheory/